Selling the business to an American multinational company just two and a half years after opening?
This is exactly the happy epilogue of Native, the natural deodorant brand founded by Moiz Ali and sold in 2017 to Procter & Gamble for 100 million dollars.
The interesting fact is that, at the time of acquisition, Native only sold ONE product (the deodorant) and had 8 employees.
But how was Ali so successful?
Simple. He diligently followed the laws of positioning, being very careful not to waste energy (and investments) in activities that had nothing to do with the chosen focus.
In an overcrowded market like that of personal care, Ali actually decided to only focus on the deodorant segment, positioning Native as “the deodorant that isn’t a chemical experiment.”
Unlike all the other products on the market with a very long shopping list of incomprehensible ingredients, Native only uses 14 ingredients of natural origin.
No strange “chemical” substances, with unpronounceable names, able to stop the creation of sweat by way of some kind of skin damage. Only natural products with names that are perfectly recognizable by anyone.
Starting with this positioning, Ali decided to sell his deodorant for 12 dollars, a price much higher than the products that are generally found on shelves at the supermarket.
And with the aim of constantly keeping the brand’s communication and presentation under control, he has always refused to sell Native through Amazon or third parties. In fact, before its acquisition and arrival in the large-scale retail trade, the only channel for purchase was the company’s website.
A site where Moiz also managed to solve the problem of customer retention, building a real membership that people can sign up to receive a new deodorant every X months—depending on habits and preferences—with a 15% discount compared to the single purchase.
Currently, half of Native’s monthly turnover comes from recurring consumer purchases.
And although this simple deodorant is much more expensive than the market average, people are happy to buy it again and again.
Furthermore, as the icing on the cake, Native offers free shipping and a 30-day guarantee for free returns.
The concept is: “If you don’t feel comfortable with the first package of Native and your armpits won’t sing hallelujah in total freshness, let us know within 30 days and we’ll be happy to give you a full refund”.
All seasoned with a manic level of customer service.
Now is it clearer why a giant like Procter & Gamble wanted to eat Native up after dropping a hefty payment?
It really doesn’t matter if you dream of a millionaire cash out or if you’d like to continue working within your company. That will be up to you depending on your plans and inclinations.
The point is that in order to even evaluate these options, you must have the tools and skills necessary to first create a marketing company that is capable of having all the success possible.
My Circle of Entrepreneurs was born to help you acquire all the information, procedures, mechanisms, strategies, lessons and skills you need to run your company.
In fact, each month you remain a member of the club, you will receive:
- Frank Merenda’s paper dossier, with all the news in marketing that will be RESERVED for the members of the club (they will not be available elsewhere).
- Special insert by Moreno Bonechi on marketing automation and customer acquisition from online to offline.
- Exclusive booklet on copywriting by Roberta Parente.
- Monthly Webinar with Moreno Bonechi, Roberta Parente and Raffaele Di Cristo.
- Updates on the Reserved Area. Every month we will upload about an hour and a half of video (on average) of me, behind closed doors, training my members and my most restricted staff.
- “Brand Report” updates from month to month, where my Brand Positioning teachers, Al and Laura Ries, will directly answer questions from club members.
- SQUEEZE THE LEMONS: this is the course that shows you how to immediately increase your turnover by up to 10 times.
- Member privileges of the Circle of Entrepreneurs: members of the Circle of Entrepreneurs will have special offers on courses and Made on Planet Frank events.
There are 8 essential tools for those who, like you, want to see their business grow.
You can also now access the Circle of Entrepreneurs through the Metodo Merenda app, the first Netflix model platform for business training in the world.
Just like with Netflix, log in and view. Or download the content to your device so you can even enjoy it when you’re disconnected or traveling.
Why wait to enjoy all this goodness from God?
Click on the button below and get more information on how to become a member of my “Circolo degli Imprenditori”!
Rock ’n’ Roll!!!